The Ring-tum Phi

Ginger and Garlic garners student approval for Foodside’s first menu with Asian cuisine

The menu includes the standard bowl and salad options, with new additions like orange-sesame chicken and Korean barbecue pork.

Items+on+the+Ginger+and+Garlic+menu+include+sticky+wings%2C+kung+pao+Brussel+sprouts+and+spring+rolls.+Photo+by+Ben+Soullier%2C+%2719.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Items on the Ginger and Garlic menu include sticky wings, kung pao Brussel sprouts and spring rolls. Photo by Ben Soullier, '19.

Ben Soullier

Foodside, the third-year restaurant that features a cyclical menu, started winter term with a twist: its first attempt at Asian cuisine.

The basic meal options for the new theme, Ginger and Garlic, are similar to previous menus, with standard options like rice bowls, blended bowls, wraps and salads.

While the Cantina Grill seems to be the most popular menu Foodside has offered so far, Ginger and Garlic has several students excited.

The Foodside staff prepares to serve students from the new Ginger and Garlic menu. Photo by Ben Soullier, ’19.

“I’m really excited about this because I love Asian food, and the fact that I can get spring rolls on a meal swipe just makes me so happy,” Grace Smith, ‘20, said. “I haven’t tried much of the menu, but I’m a fan so far.”

Smith was not the only one to praise Ginger and Garlic. Several students who enjoy Asian cuisine said they believe it lives up to their standards.

“Honestly, I really like it,” Alex Keene, ‘21, said. “I like Asian food in general, and I’m not super picky, but I think it is really, really good.”

Foodside is the only campus dining facility that shuffles its menu periodically throughout the academic year. The restaurant’s effort to incorporate many different types of cuisine has helped to show students that Foodside can be a popular option for students.

“I like the fact that [the menu] changes because I did not like Cantina Grill, but I do like this,” Smith said. “So it’s kind of hit or miss.”

Cate Peabody, ‘19, said she appreciated the restaurant’s commitment to offering food that meets a number of dietary needs.

“I also like that they have options for everyone,” Peabody said. “I feel like they are more inclusive of dietary restrictions than the dining hall is.”

Keene agreed.

“I think that it is a good thing that the cuisine changes because not everyone likes all food,” Keene said. “It allows more people to eat food they like at third year, but there are some rotations I personally like more than others.”

Some students are inevitably disappointed when their favorite meal is replaced by the next menu in the cycle, but most remain excited for what comes next.

“I like how it rotates,” Charlie Bovard, ‘19, said. “I remember last year living in third year housing being kind of sad when my favorites changed. For example, I really liked their Nashville hot sandwich for the barbecue option, but I did always get excited for something new after the change.”

Rose Maxwell, ‘20, said her favorite option was replaced earlier this year. She wishes some items could be available on the menu year-round.

“I like how it changes some,” Maxwell said. “But I’m definitely ready for Cantina Grill to come back. They used to have a stuffed avocado and I really miss that.”

Most students said they would likely eat at Ginger and Garlic once a week. Some said they would like to see the restaurant open for lunch, while others like the current opening hours: 5 p.m.-9 p.m. on weekdays and 11 a.m.-9 p.m. on weekends.

“I kind of wish it was open for lunch, because with individual bowls, it can sometimes take a while to get food,” Bovard said.

Most of all, though, students hope Foodside will continue to bring different cuisines to campus.

“Honestly, Indian cuisine might be good,” Keene said.