The Ring-tum Phi

Students find KKK chapter fliers on W&L’s campus

Some fliers implore Washington and Lee to keep its name the same. Others say that “race is much more than skin color” and that “Yahweh commands racial segregation.”

Hannah Denham

Students found fliers on campus that appear to be distributed by a chapter of the Ku Klux Klan, according to Washington and Lee University President William Dudley.

One flier reads, “Washington and Lee University… K-K-KEEP the name the same!!! K-K-Keep pushing leftist freaks. Whatever you think you are, you’ll be the ones going over the cliff!”

Other fliers have pictures of black and white faces, comparing diagrams of bone structure with the words: “Race is much more than skin color!”

Some fliers have pictures of black and white faces, comparing diagrams of bone structure with the words: “Race is much more than skin color!” Photo courtesy of two students, with permission.

Another flier lists biblical verses, with the title, “Yahweh commands racial segregation!”

Vice President of Student Affairs Sidney Evans said this is the first time the KKK has distributed fliers on campus.

Ethan Kipnes, the director of public safety, alerted Evans of the fliers at 1:45 p.m. today.

“We’re working our way around campus collecting everything we can find and doing our best to identify who’s doing this,” Kipnes said.

Dudley sent an email to students, faculty and staff acknowledging the reports of KKK leafleting.

“The views espoused by the KKK and other hate groups are abhorrent and antithetical to the values of Washington and Lee,” Dudley said in the email. “The safety of our students and employees is our top priority.”

Dudley said the public safety office is coordinating with local law enforcement for an investigation. Students can contact public safety via 540-458-8999 or the LiveSafe app for security escorts or other concerns.

The fliers are signed by the Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which is based in Pelham, North Carolina, according to their website.

This summer, the KKK distributed fliers in Lexington after Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave the Red Hen restaurant.

In previous years, similar fliers have been found in historically black neighborhoods in Lexington around the time of Lee-Jackson Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which fall on the same weekend in January.

This story is developing. Check back for updates.

A group of fliers, possibly distributed by a KKK chapter, were found on W&L’s campus on Friday. Photo courtesy of two students, with permission.

Hannah Denham, Arts and Life Section Editor

Hannah Denham, '20, is one of the arts and life section editors. She is majoring in journalism with a minor in women, gender and sexuality studies. She's...